blog background

Thursday, November 30, 2017

november news

some really cool things happened this month that i don't ever want to forget about.
i had an appointment at the beginning of the month to get my yellow fever vaccine. i made the appointment about a month before that, told them what i needed and why, got all the details about what to bring with me, took sick time from work, and off I went. i sat in the waiting room for over an hour, which was annoying, but would have been okay on its own. however, went i went back and was able to see the doctor, he informed me that there is a national shortage of the yellow fever vaccine and they no longer offer it. um... okay, that would have been really good to know when i made the appointment a month ago, and before i took off work and sat here for over an hour. he gave me a list of places i could call to get the vaccine, gave me several other recommended booster shots, and sent me on my way. i called tulsa because it was the closest option and they couldn't get me in until december 21st. which made me stupid nervous because it was so close to when i was supposed to leave. but i made the appointment anyway just to be safe. i ended up calling the little rock clinic and was able to get in on black friday, november 24th. i called dad and we made plans to drive there and back that day, him so graciously offering to ride along in case i had any reactions (or just to spend time with me, that's up for debate). i put it out of my mind and didn't think anything else about it. fast forward to sunday the 19th, the weekend before we were supposed to go to little rock. mom was talking to jill, because we were spending the weekend after thanksgiving together, and said that we weren't coming until saturday now because of dad and i driving to little rock. jill says hold up, parsons is an international hub and we offer that shot here, so let me call on monday and see if they have any vaccines left. um okay cool god, if this works out i'll cry. she calls me back and tells me that they had 6 left, but a group of 6 were scheduled to come in on Monday and get them. dang, okay, worth a shot and still cool that it was a possibility. but then, she calls back to say, only 5 of 6 showed up and they have ONE vaccine left. ARE YOU KIDDING ME GOD?  so i cry, like can't believe that it's in parsons and i don't have to drive to little rock and okay now when do i need to get there during the week and oh crap its also thanksgiving that week so the health department is closed so whatever i need to do just let me know. jill works her magic, (ps. jill worked at the health department for many years and just recently, like in the last 6 months, left her job there, so she knows everyone really well), and her old boss Debbie agrees to meet us up there on a Saturday, when the health department isn't even open, to give me the last remaining yellow fever vaccine they have for the next year. Again, ARE YOU KIDDING ME GOD?? So now not only do I not have to drive to little rock, i don't even have to make a special trip to parsons, she is just going to meet me there over the weekend when i was already going to be there for the weekend. okay, god, i see you, and if i ever doubted you wanting me to go on this trip, it's loud and clear now that i'm supposed to be going. so i roll up to parsons kansas to see my friends (read bonus family) and get the one vaccine i really need and then receive a donation from her boss on top of all of that. debbie, you are a heaven sent gift. god, you are crazy cool. i can't believe this is the story you are writing for my life.
also- i met part of my team this month. i was stupid nervous, because you know, anxiety. but it went really well. I'm feeling anxious still because it seems like everyone else on the team has a really defined role and clear expectations of what they'll be doing, and i don't and my a-type brain is having a hard time with that. i keep saying "even if i go and only love on kids for the time we are there, it will still be an incredible experience" and that's true. so i'm trying to just be content. its way harder to do than it is to say. 
one more thing that didn't happen in november, but i don't ever want to forget and it's related to uganda and going on this trip. back in april i had to work after school care unexpectedly because my staff called in last minute. i was ticked off. so annoyed that i had to work a 12 hour day last minute because of irresponsibility on someone else's part. i didn't want to be there, but since ASC is my program at work I had to cover it. so, away i went. it was a beautiful day that day, so we spent most of the afternoon outside with the kids. a grandparent came around 4pm to pick up their grandson, and since it was so nice she asked if it was okay that she stay and let him play for a little while. i said sure, and went back to my business. i was sitting with two kiddos on a blanket and she came over to chit chat. (side note- i hate chit chat. especially at work. i have a job to do and i need to focus so chit chatting makes me bonkers.) so here comes grandma lady wanting to chat it up about the work we do and how incredible it is and how special we are to work with kids with special needs. i agree, yeah, yeah, they're cool kids, yada-yada. then she starts to share about a random experience she had a few years ago, was supposed to be traveling with her friends and one ended up sick and unable to go so their plan was altered a bit. they ended up a a place in africa that works with kids with special needs. she proceeded to talk about how cool it was and how it changed her views on things and gave her a new perspective of being engaged with people with disabilities. i kind of laughed and asked, "you said this was in africa? did it happen to be ekisa?" and she starts crying. (side note 2: know what i hate more than chit chat? crying strangers.) she says yes, and i tell her how much i love Ekisa and have wanted to go for several years and it just hasn't worked out. and she says "i just got goosebumps. i want you to know that you'll be going to Ekisa this year. and i'll help fund your trip because you need to be there." and i'm like.. uhhh hold up lady tell me what your name is again? who are you and how did we get here? she tells me to call her and we can talk more about the trip and how to get funded to go. (fast forward to november now- i can't get ahold of this lady for anything, so she didn't help me fund my trip- but funds were never an issue and god provided. just cool that back in april before i even applied to go on this trip god was working and knew i would be going and put this lady in my path to light the fire in me again.) 
so. god writes cool stories. he does cool things unexpectedly and doesn't forget our dreams and wishes and works them all together for his good. and it's really cool to see the details be worked out like this. for it to be so clear that i am supposed to be on this trip. thanks god, for the story you are writing right now. 

1 comment: